1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1 cauliflower head
2 garlic cloves
¾ cup breadcrumbs
½ tsp dried oregano
Optional: 1-2 tbsp flour (whole wheat, all purpose or oat)
For the sauce:
½ cup hot sauce
¼ cup dairy free butter
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package (with water over stovetop); at the same time, cook cauliflower in a separate pot over stovetop.
3. While those are cooking, prepare the buffalo sauce: melt butter either in microwave or over stove and then stir in hot sauce, garlic powder and chili powder; set aside.
4. Once the quinoa is done cooking, set aside; once the cauliflower is done cooking, drain and place HALF the cauliflower, along with the garlic, into the food processor and pulse for 5-10 seconds.
5. Remove and pour cauliflower into a bowl before adding the second half of cauliflower to the food processor and repeating the process, removing and placing into the bowl.
6. Stir quinoa, breadcrumbs, oregano, and HALF of the buffalo sauce together with the cauliflower and then place the bowl in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, allowing everything to cool off a bit.
7. After 15 minutes, remove from refrigerator and, using your hands, form mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs, placing the meatballs directly onto a large skillet. If the mixture is too wet, add additional flour 1 tbsp at a time.
8. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on the skillet and then cook meatballs on medium-high heat, making sure to be careful when flipping them over, until they’re golden brown on all sides.
9. Pour a small amount of the rest of the buffalo sauce overtop of each meatball, making sure they all get covered with the sauce but you don’t want them to be soaked with sauce or else they will get soggy.
10. Remove meatballs from skillet and place on a baking sheet; bake for approximately 15 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and enjoy!