Fruit and Nut Energy Bars
1-1/2 cups Dried Apricots
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup Date Crumbles
3/4 cup Hazelnuts raw or toasted
1/2 cup Almonds raw or toasted
1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
1-1/2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Hulled Millet uncooked
1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
1/4 cup Raw Honey
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
– Add the dried fruit into a HOT saucepan with a lid along with 1/8 cup of water. Immediately after adding the water, turn off the heat and cover. Allow the fruit to steam for 3 minutes.
– Put the re-hydrated fruit into a food processor and process until all chunks are gone and fruit is a thick paste.
– Add nuts and pulse until the paste and the nuts are incorporated enough to spin freely in the processor. Then, continue to process until nuts are desired consistency.
– Add oatmeal, millet, coconut, honey and sea salt – and, pulse again until oats are finely chopped.
– Turn mixture into a large bowl, or onto a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper. The mixture will be VERY loose. Begin squeezing and pressing mixture together in small batches until all mixture adheres together and can be formed into a rectangle. Cover with parchment paper, roll to 1/2 inch thickness, then cut into bars.
STORAGE: Bars will keep at room temp for several and can be stored in an airtight plastic container, or plastic bag. For longer storage, store in the refrigerator with parchment between layers.